What Did We Do?
When we moved in, this area had conifers that covered half way across the garage, that were taller than the bungalow next door and were cut back so much on neighbours side they had browning leaves at the bottom.
How Did We Do It?
We decided to have them removed and put up a fence instead. Having them removed left stumps so to cover these we made raised beds to plant in.
We decided on making them out of metal corrugated roofing sheets. Which gave us the flexibility of length and were the perfect high and didn’t cost anywhere near as much as sleepers due to the height we wanted them at.
What Did We Plant?
Fruit trees & nut trees and fruit bushes were put in here, rhubarb and Strawberries in hanging baskets. This area gets the sun in the morning and late afternoon as it passes back around the house so is a perfect location for these.
In this area from left to right is
1. Blueberry ( 3. Shrub Layer)
2. Hazel ( 2. Sub-Canopy or Large Shrub Layer)
3. Rhubarb ( 3. Shrub Layer)
4. Dwarf Plum ( 2. Sub-Canopy or Large Shrub Layer)
5. Rhubarb ( 3. Shrub Layer)
5. Hazel ( 2. Sub-Canopy or Large Shrub Layer)
6. Blueberry ( 3. Shrub Layer)
7. Dwarf Apple ( 2. Sub-Canopy or Large Shrub Layer)
8. Blueberry ( 3. Shrub Layer)
9. Hazel ( 2. Sub-Canopy or Large Shrub Layer)
10. Blueberry ( 3. Shrub Layer)
Following year we added in chives and strawberries, these will be detailed in another blog
Chives (4. Herbaceous Layer)
Strawberries (5. Ground Cover Layer)
THIS BLOG COVERED:
Yr 1 – April 2019- April 2020
Look out for blog post for Yr 2 – April 2020- April 2021
Look out for blog post for Yr 3 – April 2021- April 2022
Get new content delivered directly to your inbox.
This blog is from the 🟥 Pinky Red Area
Other related blogs from this area are: